The Cut, The Cutting Room’s Fashion Design and Merchandising Academy, teaches what the industry is doing. With our roster of fashion design continuing education courses, students learn practical and applicable skills in sewing, pattern making, fashion design, illustration, career development, and more.
Taught in our state-of-the-art production and fashion design studio, students receive hands-on instruction from industry-leading experts. Learn where the industry happens with courses from The Cut.
Interested in launching your career in four months?
An established and respected leader in apparel design and production, she has a talent for designing businesses that win. She loves efficiency as much as aesthetic, margin as much as making it right, and sustainability as much as style. Her balanced approach steers big brands in healthy new directions and provides up-starts with a solid foundation to launch from. She is the founder of FBA360, a New Yorkbased fashion-business coaching firm. Liza knows how to get things done and make things happen.
“The Cutting Room is an exceptional place to grow your skills in the fashion industry. The instructors are highly skilled and give hands-on experience and individual attention. The knowledge and technology are advanced.”
- The linear process of starting a fashion line
- Mood boards/story boards
- Specs/flats/what you need to go from idea to proto-type
- Samples and patterns and their cost
- Fabric sourcing, how to match production fabric to sample fabric
- Licensing, trademarks, patents and all that jazz
- The business, incorporating, accounting, the boring part of the set up!
- Trade shows
- Sourcing (fabric, notions, contractors and sewers)
- How much it will cost
- Production and how to do it
- Cottage industry and finding manufacturers, sewers and contractors
- Margins, mark-ups and overhead
- Big retailers versus “mom and pop” shops
- How selling to stores really works
- Sales strategy, wholesale, direct to consumer, retail
- Your wholesale doesn’t make your retail price
- Budget and cash flow charting
- Calendars for production and cash flow
- Tech drawings and a 12-month budget for sampling and production
- Profit and loss for first year
- Raising finances
- Where and how to find money
- How to evaluate your company in order to get funded
- All things marketing
- Social media
- Proper website
- Trunk shows
- Presentation to class
- Mood board, techs, cash flow, sales strategy, branding, profit and loss
- How much you will really need $$ wise to launch your line
Interested in kick-starting your career in fashion? Our full-time classes start in September 2017.