Fashion Marketing & Branding
In this intensive hands-on course, you will learn how to become an effective Fashion Marketer. In the competitive fashion industry world, you need skills that speak to the consumer, whether you want to work for an established company or develop the “Brand of You”. In today’s media-heavy environment, it’s essential you are able to communicate a brand’s DNA to their target market. Learn the skills necessary for success by working with industry professionals to gain entry into the creative and profitable business of fashion.
Term: 14 weeks x 20/hrs = 280 hours
Weekly: Lecture 8 hrs/week. Lab 12 hrs/week
Intro to Fashion Marketing & Industry
- Define the terminology common to the fashion industry.
- Identify the segments of the fashion industry and their roles in the fashion pipeline.
- Trace the movement of fashion from concept to consumer.
- Identify current designers and recognize their signature styles.
- Develop an awareness of the variety and rewards of fashion related careers.
- Outline the key strategies and processes of fashion marketing.
- Explain the concept of research and development.
- Compare the marketing of fashion to that of other products.
- Identify a strategy to use for market distribution.
- Display an ability to prepare and present fashion marketing information.
- Produce a fashion-related event video.
- Identify the numerous factors that influence consumer buying behavior.
- Discuss how consumer attitudes can be influenced by marketers.
- Relate basic psychological concepts to consumer motivation and need fulfillment.
- Differentiate between qualitative and quantitative consumer research and design, administer, and analyze basic data collection instruments.
Writing for Industry
- Understand the role of writing in the communication process.
- Identify the role of fashion journalism in newspaper, magazine, and new media.
- Write fashion copy for a newspaper, magazine, and online media.
- Write fashion copy for advertising and PR purposes.
- Pitch a fashion story.
- Conceive, edit and publish a hard-copy print magazine.
Public Relations & Media
- Demonstrate an understanding of traditional and emerging public relations techniques.
- Analyze real world observations and apply to public relations initiatives.
- Demonstrate creative and critical thinking skills.
- Improve personal communication and public presentation skills.
- Analyze marketing strategies employed by advertisers in a wide variety of media: Print, Broadcast, Out-of-Home, Online, and Social Media.
- Exhibit an understanding of how to target advertising to specific markets.
- Develop and budget an ad campaign integrating multiple media platforms.
- Develop a media contact list.
- Produce a professional Media Kit, including press release, company backgrounder, designer bio, and product lookbook.
Social Media & Digital Analytics
- Understand ways in which business and non-profits use social media marketing to engage customers.
- Understand foundational vocabulary and terminology of social media marketing and social media analytics.
- Use the technologies involved in order to effectively communicate tactics, strategies and decisions related to social media marketing.
- Appreciate the strategic implications, including risks and ethical implications, of social media marketing.
- Analyze social media’s usefulness for businesses as a vehicle for facilitating customer communication and interactions.
- Understand trending topics, types of content, and users.
- Build engagement with appropriate links and tone of voice.
- Examine web analytics, digital branding, WordPress-specific blogging, online advertising, social media, SEO, and more.
Brand Strategy & Marketing
- Explain the fundamental theories and processes of brand creation.
- Differentiate a product identity from a brand identity.
- Define strategy in the context of brand building.
- Discuss the use of symbols and metaphors.
- Discuss elements of brand packaging to help establish brand identity.
- Explain the four pillars of branding.
- Prepare a blueprint for brand development.
E-Business & Global Marketing
- Display an understanding of basic e-Business/e-Commerce models and markets.
- Compare, assess and make improvement recommendations for websites, e-stores, blogs, marketing/e-commerce apps, and creative content based on usability, engagement and target market objectives.
- Create digital content to promote sales.
- Conceive and publish an on-line e-Business store.
Sales & Event Promotion
- Develop skills in creative direction and production.
- Learn planning and budgeting.
- Develop critical paths for event execution.
- Acquire skills in project management.
- Learn event accounting and break-even metrics.
- Understand talent management and acquisition.
- Develop critical thinking and evaluation skills to develop solid sales promotions.
- Assess the financial return on Trunk Shows, Pop Up Shops, and other off-site promotional activities.
- Conceive, promote, and execute a local sales event.