Fashion Design: Capsule Collection
During this 8 week fashion design course, students invent a capsule collection of five outfits. Students will learn how to:
- apply the elements and principles of design to their work
- research and design for a specific target market
- visualize ideas through boards, sketching and draping
- analyze the construction of garments
- pattern draft through dart manipulation exercises
- understand fabrics, notions and trims
- make spec sheets for production (buyers and sewers)
- make line ready to present to a buyer.
Five projects will be worked on throughout the course, which students will present to their peers on the last day. Presentation format and style is determined by each student. These projects include:
- a target market profile
- a mood board
- a storyboard
- a line sheet
- a spec sheet.
The instructors will work with each student based on personal skill level and preferred pace.
For a week-by-week schedule, please view the course outline.
Studio time is available to students during their 8 week session. Up to 3 hours per week (at no additional charge).
Start Date (choose your preferred start date):
Tuesday May 16
Tuesday July 11
Tuesday September 12
Length: 8 Weeks
Day & Time: Tuesdays from 6PM-8PM
Schedule: Classes run once per week, same day and time, for the duration of the course
Class Capacity: 6 students only
Must be 16+ years old to take this course.
Students will receive an official certificate from The Cutting Room upon completion of this course.
Have you completed this class? Check out our advanced Fashion Design Workshop course.
“I would recommend the Fashion Design course to anyone! Starting my own line seemed so daunting until I met Liza and her team.”
– Kathleen Kilroe, Fashion Design Graduate, Summer 2016