In this comprehensive course, students learn the secrets and step-by-step tactics needed to take a brand from samples to stockists. From sourcing fabrics, working with contractors and agents, to planning a trade show, this course effectively introduces students to what is required to successfully launch a fashion business.
In this 6 week course, students will learn about:
- The linear process of starting a fashion line
- Mood boards/story boards
- Specs/flats/what you need to go from idea to proto-type
- Samples and patterns and their cost
- Fabric sourcing, how to match production fabric to sample fabric
- Licensing, trademarks, patents and all that jazz
- The business, incorporating, accounting, the boring part of the set up!
- Trade shows
- Sourcing (fabric, notions, contractors and sewers)
- How much it will cost
- Production and how to do it
- Cottage industry and finding manufacturers, sewers and contractors
- Margins, mark-ups and overhead
- Big retailers versus “mom and pop” shops
- How selling to stores really works
- Sales strategy, wholesale, direct to consumer, retail
- Your wholesale doesn’t make your retail price
- Budget and cash flow charting
- Calendars for production and cash flow
- Tech drawings and a 12-month budget for sampling and production
- Profit and loss for first year
- Raising finances
- Where and how to find money
- How to evaluate your company in order to get funded
- All things marketing
- Social media
- Proper website
- Trunk shows
- Presentation to class
- Mood board, techs, cash flow, sales strategy, branding, profit and loss
- How much you will really need $$ wise to launch your line
Start Dates (choose your preferred start date):
Sunday, Sept 16
Sunday, Nov 18
Length: 6 week
Schedule: Classes run once per week, same day and time, for the duration of the course
Class Capacity: 6 students only
Price: $795.00 + GST
This is a beginner class, no prior experience is required. Students will receive an official certificate from The Cutting Room upon completion of this course.
Students are encouraged to take this course more than once for continual business assistance and support.
Please arrive to class on time. If you will be away for class, please inform us at [email protected] Any cancellation or absences that are not notified within 24 hours of your class will be considered a missed session, no make up class will provided.
If there is 2 or less students registered for the class, the class will be considered a private class. Students will complete all assignments as listed, in a 6 week period instead of 8 weeks.